La Tour Eiffel

La Tour Eiffel

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Oh la la

June 6, 2010
Day 38


So I know I probably talk too much about the boy situation in France (thanks for pointing that out Mom) but I have a story, so bear with me.


Let me take you back to earlier this night when I was in the lobby of the residence I'm staying at here in Nice. We can only access the internet in the lobby so I came down and started talking on skype with my parents. To be polite I went and sat on the steps outside in the garden so I wouldn't interrupt the others who were using the internet here. I'd been outside for a while when a boy walks by and says "Bonsoir." At first I didn't hear him because I had my headphones in to listen to my mom, but then I replied "Bonsoir," he acknowledged, looked back, and kept walking. So I didn't think anything of it...

I keep talking to my mom, trying to plan our rendezvous at the end of the week and catching up since I haven't had a lot of internet access all week. A little later the same boy and a friend were in the courtyard again and his friend asked for a lighter (a question I have been asked countless times now) and then left. About an hour later, its almost midnight, the same kid (the first one) walks by and asks to sit down on the steps by me. Please picture this. I am in the middle of talking to my mom on skype (he comes up to me in midsentence) and sits down when I give him the affirmative (thinking he was just going to ask for a smoke or something). Wrong. He starts talking to me--yes, I'm still online with my mom, and yes, she can hear every word--and he asks about what I'm doing here (study abroad with my class) and what room I'm in (don't worry, I didn't tell him) to which my mom writes on skype chat, "Don't give him your room number." Thanks. I'm so glad my mom can be a part of my "getting hit on by a French boy" experience. Not awkward at all.

Realizing the kid was not about to leave, I quickly typed back, "I won't. Ttyl." and promptly closed my computer before my mom could eavesdrop any more...

...I then engaged in a nice long chat with this random French boy. We talked about school and what we were studying (he's studying economics after dropping out of the information systems program) and compared American and French culture (he asked what Americans think of the French and I told him we consider their military a joke--he retorted that the French saved the Americans in the Revolution though and then we saved them in WWII). He asked what kind of shows I liked (House, NCIS...) and if I knew any famous French singers, athletes, actors etc. I named off some presidents and he mentioned a few famous actors whose names I didn't know but I knew the name of the film (La Vie en Rose). He spoke English in a thick accent because he wanted to practice and I attempted to speak in French, but it was difficult because I wasn't thinking in French with him speaking in English--so it was more a franglais conversation. He said I spoke French well, but I think he was lying haha.

I decided to put in some random stalker pictures of my own...
I feel like it fit the theme, even if the roles are reversed...



After talking about school and such and asking where I was staying (I told him we were spread on all floors--no precise location, don't worry), he asked where we would have class. Lucky me we have class in the morning in the courtyard (where we were sitting). He was like, "Oh, here?! Really? What time?" I tried to be general (we have class at 10:30) so I just said, "Oh, I don't know, sometime arrrrround 10? Maybe. Ten-ish." And he was like, "Ten? Oh, down here? Hm, I can come? Your teacher will be here? I come in the morning?" I just stuttered. I'm pretty sure that does not ca va with Lebras (my teacher). He was like, "Hm, that is a little bit early for me. So if I don't come, I am in room 101 and you can come knock at noon and I will be there to see you." Huh. Yeah. Ok. I did not know what to say, I just said something along the lines of, "Oh, yeah, okay....heh heh...suuure. Well, we have a lot of homework to do in the afternoons--we're required to visit some museums and tour the city etc...." But he didn't seem too bothered by that. I'm not sure what he thinks we're going to do. But he was pretty adamant about joining our class in the morning...which poses a very potentially awkward situation for me...yup.






......One hour and 15 minutes later....



After trying to excuse myself once (unsuccessfully because he changed the topic and kept talking) I finally was freed by his friend who came over and asked to get into their room to go to bed. He turned to me and said, "Oh, I have to go now...but I will see you in class here? Okay. Goodnight." Giles and Jenny were in the lobby and had heard that I was talking to him so we had a nice moment of laughter and comraderie in my bizarre experience. I stayed in the lobby with them to write this blog entry and finish up an email I had started while talking with my mom earlier when the kid returns! He walks in and sees me sitting down and comes over saying, "I'm sorry, I was rude. I did not even ask your name. What is it?" I told him and asked his (its Vincent). He stayed a moment talking to Giles and me about the basketball game (Lakers v. Celtics tonight) and how I'm a Celtics fan and he likes the Lakers like Giles, and then he said goodnight and left.


Hm. Wow. If only these things happened to me in America...in less awkward situations...



....Oh, hold the phone. He just came back again with his friend. And yes, he just reminded me to come find him after class if he doesn't make it in the morning ("Ten thirty right?"). Oh dear. Looks like I'm going to have to stay low for a while...stick close to the three boys in my class. Yes. Good plan. Maybe I'll eat garlic and tease my hair into an afro or something. I won't shower. That should be enough to get rid of him...

Now the problem is facing him (and my parents..."ttyl mom!") tomorrow....that'll be so fun!

Oh la la.




Ps. Mom, (and Marci, if you're reading this), I am alive. He doesn't know where I am. Giles is aware of the situation and I know where he and the other two boys are staying so I can go there for safety. But I don't think this is a dangerous situation. More awkwardly funny....the boy is like a stray dog or something. But I will not be fooled and I will not be taken. No worries. I just hate awkwardness--when it happens to me. Haha.




.....





So, do you remember when Vincent said he would come to class in the morning? I was thinking that he probably wouldn't because he was up so late and would sleep in. Welllllll....no. We start class at 10am in the lobby, with all the chairs arranged in a circle. I was sitting with my back facing the doors and sittting next to Ryan. This turned out to be a good thing because half and hour later I hear footsteps come up behind me and I realize that Vincent showed up after all! I didn't see his face because my back was towards him, but Meridith told me that he apparently walked in and looked around the room for me. I guess it was kind of weird because Dr. Lebras said "Bonjour" to him (and he replied "Bonjour") and then he went to the vending machine (probably to avoid being even more awkward) and then left. Phew. I don't know if he saw me but decided that it would be too weird in that situation (with Dr. Lebras there) or if he just didn't see me because I wasn't facing him, but either way I'm really glad I didn't have to make eye contact with him!

Also...I did not go to his room at noon. For the first time in my life I stood someone up--for which I feel slightly guilty, but really, what did he expect? I'm not going to see him again.....I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment